Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Half way

Hello to all,
(Pictures at bottom)

So it's been a month and some days since I last updated the blog. The last time I wrote was at the start of Christmas break. So that is where we will start this blog. 

Let me start by saying Christmas break was lots of fun, also shorter than it should be. The break was kicked off with a school party that transcended into the night. The following days were spent on the mountain snowboarding. This year has been amazing to the mountains with more than 9 feet of snow!!! I then spent some days with friends from school, and visited some other exchangers. At some point during the break I signed up for the Marathon of Milan. That is 26 miles of running to clarify. More on that later. Then with the blink of an eye break was over and school was back.

 School was back, but life goes on. I made a trip to Biella during the first week of school being back, to say bye to a friend. Luci the Aussie, had finished her year in Italy. (As Austrillia operates on a different time table)  To commensurate her time we had a dinner with the district head families and other students. We miss you Luci. That night wasn't all sad, as I neglected to mention before Luci leaving wasn't the only cause for the dinner. The other purpose was to welcome the new. Frances, a girl from South Africa arrived the day before, and we all came to welcome her to Italy. That night was very transitional for me. It felt as if a right of passage ritual had been completed. I am the "oldie" and she is the "newbie" as we call the positions here in Italy

Now lets talk about my Visa, and I don't mean the credit card. To come to Italy on exchange you have to get a student visa. I recieved my student visa without a hassle and continued on my path to Italy. Fast forward 5 months. Logan is in his room, and is reading about the return procedure and guidelines. One of the rules says you must return before the Visa expires. No problem right? Wrong.  My visa expires June 7th, let me explain the problems.
-1st school ends on the 6th so I recieve no rest or goodbye time.
-2nd I get no summer
-3rd  everyone elses visa expires late june or early July! Making me the first to leave
Atleast I will get to see my class graduate, I guess that is an upside. So the visa takes me to my next point I am now half way through my exchange which means I have been here for more time than I have left! See you soon Humboldt. (slightly joking, slightly serious)

Now as promised the marathon. I have been running and cross training 5 times a week in prep for the event. Then I recieved an email yesterday saying I am to young to run and will be refunded my money. So now the hard part, find a marathon I can do. After expanding my search a million times I found the VCM, (Vienna City Marathon) yes Vienna, Austria. So now that is the goal. The race is April 13. Now I just need to work out the logistics. I have called upon my first host mom to be my guidance on the trip, but do not have an answer yet. I understand if she can't take me though, as going to Vienna is a lot to ask from a person. For now I just have to keep running, and hope the logistics work out in my favor.

Thank you for reading, and stay classy,

Logan White

Enjoy the pictures
Me, Luci, (Standing) Frances (Blonde) at The farewell/welcome dinner

Milan christmas time

Host grandma

Favorite restraunt on the Mountain

Xmas themed dinner with friends

Who does't love snow and beautiful mountains?

No comments:

Post a Comment