Monday, March 3, 2014

Hello 180 Days!


"How did it get so late so soon" - Dr. Seuss

That is a pretty good way of looking at the situation right now. They say exchange isn't a year in a life, but a life in a year. As true as that is, I then must acknowledge I am starting to approach the end of my life here in Italy. It remains true in this case, as it is true in every case that the end of a life is a sad thing. Although fortunatley for me the end if this life leads to a place where there is always sun. Yes, in a sense I am talking about heaven, but this heaven is called 'Summertime in California'

I last wrote in this blog a little over a month ago. A lot has transpired in the last 40 days. I switched houses, twice, thats right 2 times! I am now living with my first host family until I leave Italy. This is as scheduled. I am happy to be back with the Bettoni family, and finally to be settled in to a house for more than a month. 

It is now March, and I thought the snow would be melting at lightspeed by this time, but oh how I was wrong! In the first three days of March the mountain has recieved nearly two more meters of snow! I guess I will have more time on the mountain than I thought. Speaking of time on the mountain.  A new hobby that some friends of mine and I do from time to time is what I have dubbed "Utimate Sledding". We rent bobsleds, take a lift to the top of the ski resort, eat dinner, and then sled down well over a mile guided by the lights we have attatched to out heads. This my friends, is the future of winter sports!

To continue with the sport theme, I went to Sestriere in the middle of Febuary. Sestriere was the center of events for the 2006 Torino Olympics, and is the heart of the ski/snowboard fantasy land known as Via Lattia aka the Milky Way. I was hosted there by an Italian family who's kid will be going to the US on exchange this coming year. I returned from that weekend and ran my longgest practice run yet, and 18 miler. The marathon prep is in full swing, and I could not be more excited for the race in April. All my hard work will cullminate into an amazing trip to Vienna, Austria where I will complete 26 miles on feet. My goal for the race is under 3 hours and 25 minutes.

 Away from the topic of sports, and straight into lyguistics. I am taking on the challenge of learning dialect. Every region of Italy has distinct dialects of the Italian language, not everyone speaks their regions dialect, but I have taken it upon myslef to learn this regions dialect. I am in Valsesia where the dialect is very unique. The Valsesia was the border of the Piedmont and Lombard regions/kingdoms almost 200 years ago. As a result you get a mixed dialect of Milanese and Piemontese that less than 2500 people speak. 

This coming month I do not have a lot planned so we will see where it takes me. Sometimes the best things come as surprises. I welcome this last branch of my exchange with open arms, and a hope of many many new expiriences, adventures, and educational growth. I will update in the next month or so. 

Until next time, arrivederci,
Logan White



Before ultimate sledding

A rare sunny day in Alagna

Sestriere

Skiing with Gianmario

No comments:

Post a Comment